How to Succeed as a Professional Translator
Not all translators have completed a degree in translation or completed a degree in Foreign Languages, but that doesn't mean that you couldn't become a translator. In fact, many translators have had different backgrounds and have worked in different fields such as bilingual lawyers, accountants, secretaries or other related professions. Many of these jobs required learning a second language due to the amount of readings and researches that had to be completed in another language. So here are a few tips on what you could do to broaden your language skills and start out a career as a successful translator.
• Immersion – Consider the possibility of living or working abroad for at least 6-12 months.
• Translation Courses – Find yourself a good course or program; read books in foreign languages, if you are too busy working full time, look for an online training program.
• Become Certified – Pursuing a certification in translation or interpretation would help you succeed in your career. You will gain the ability to apply for more positions which are highly competitive and require specific designations or set levels of experience in the translation industry.
• Getting to Know a Second Language very well – Knowing more than just one language isn’t enough to guarantee a successful career as a translator. You must have a solid foundation in the foreign language you will be working with.
• Many Times, to get experience within a new area you must accept projects that are on the edge of what you are comfortable completing. This is natural and the only way in which your abilities will grow. Many times however translators who have worked on just 2-3 projects will stretch the truth and claim expertise in areas they have never worked in or in industries they have never researched.
We hope these simple tips can be a helpful to your decision on considering the translation working field. Don’t hesitate to email us if you have questions or concerns.
By Vanessa Greenway, CTP Associate
Tags: How Can I Become a Professional Translator, How to Succeed as a Professional Translator, Starting a career as a professional translator, Translator Training.