The following Translator Q & A is part of our Translator FAQ Series.
Question: What should I study now to become a translator?
Answer: To become a translator you should study:
- Your target languages until you know them as well as a native
- The culture behind your target language so that you can accurately pick out hidden and second meanings of words
- Translation industry best practices
- Translation ethics and guidelines of working in the industry
- What experts in translation are doing, this is who you should be learning from as often as possible.