The following Translator Q & A is part of our Translator FAQ Series.
Question: How can I get a internship as a translator?
Answer: To get an internship as a translator please follow these tips:
- Identify every potential translation agency employer within your geographical area so that you can meet with them in person. If you need a directory of translation agencies and firms you can purchase on here or get one for free by completing the CTP Program.
- Meet with potential employers in person as often as possible
- Apply for many internship programs but also approach agencies in an attempt to create your own internship position within their firm
- Offer to work for free until you have proven that you are worth paying to keep as a member of the team
- Make sure you are ready to do real live translation work so you can complete meaningful projects for the hiring firm