Are associations important to join as a translation professional?
Yes, for a number of reasons. Associations generally have professional standards that they publish—and that can help you figure out what the norms for professional behavior in the translation industry might be, should you not be sure. They also generally have a referral list that can help you get work. In addition, a good association usually publishes a newsletter or e-zine, with industry news, tips for the trade, etc., and it may also publish a paper or electronic magazine that has useful information for an industry professional. Associations also tend to have conferences, where you can meet colleagues, agencies, and firms that are hiring, buy tools and software at a discount, and find out what’s hot and what’s not in the profession. Finally, you can meet other translation professionals via your association.
-By Adriana Tassini
The following Translator Q & A is part of our Translator FAQ Series.Question:Answer: Learn more:
- Download our free Translator Guide E-book
- Certified Translation Professional (CTP) Program
- Translation Industry Articles
- Translator Training Video & Audio Platform
- Translator Employment Guide
- Translation Training Blog
- Expert Translation Interview