How much is education vs. experience valued in the translation industry?
Overall, I’d say that experience is valued more than education, once you get going. But there are a couple of situations where education trumps. First, there are certain agencies, government jobs, and other situations where you’re going to need to have a translation degree or certification. Sometimes you’ll also need to have “x” number of years in the field as well. Second, and this may or may not be obvious, although it should be, when you’re first starting out, your education will be of paramount importance. Why? Because unless you’ve been working your way through school as in the translation industry or you’ve had an internship or two, you’ll have lots of education but no experience. Thus your education will have to serve as possible proof of your potential or potential competency as a new translator.
-By Adriana Tassini
The following Translator Q & A is part of our Translator FAQ Series.Question:Answer: Learn more:
- Download our free Translator Guide E-book
- Certified Translation Professional (CTP) Program
- Translation Industry Articles
- Translator Training Video & Audio Platform
- Translator Employment Guide
- Translation Training Blog
- Expert Translation Interview