I am 47 years old, and wonder if I am too old to even try to switch careers and work in the translation industry?
Absolutely not. This is not a field in which prodigies or hot young properties are valued. And if you’re a translator, as opposed to an interpreter, no one may ever see you at all--which means, by the way, that youth, beauty, and sparkling white teeth will be pretty much irrelevant. Nor can you charm your way into a good translation, either. Experience counts, and grey hair shows experience—not that you may have any grey hair yet, of course. So have no fear: learn the business, hone your skills, and take the plunge. If it’s the right choice for you, you’ll be very happy that you did.
-By Adriana Tassini
The following Translator Q & A is part of our Translator FAQ Series.Question:Answer: Learn more:
- Download our free Translator Guide E-book
- Certified Translation Professional (CTP) Program
- Translation Industry Articles
- Translator Training Video & Audio Platform
- Translator Employment Guide
- Translation Training Blog
- Expert Translation Interview