How do I become a translation professional?
The paths to entering the profession are as varied as there are people and languages. First, you could get a degree or certification in translation. Or, you could get a degree in your second (or third) language and then start to look for jobs in the translation industry. A third route is to become a professional in another field and then work for a company that requires or appreciates your being bilingual and then asks you to translate or interpret. Or you could—at any point in any of the above—become interested in languages and translation, and start looking for work on translators’ forums and networks, of which there are many.
-By Adriana Tassini
The following Translator Q & A is part of our Translator FAQ Series.Question:Answer: Learn more:
- Download our free Translator Guide E-book
- Certified Translation Professional (CTP) Program
- Translation Industry Articles
- Translator Training Video & Audio Platform
- Translator Employment Guide
- Translation Training Blog
- Expert Translation Interview