What are the top 3 questions employers might ask when interviewing a translation professional?
- Why do/did you want to become a translation professional—and has the field turned out to be what you expected? Another way to ask this is, “What do you like and dislike about being a translation professional and/or the field of translation. These are targeted version of the more traditional, “Tell us about yourself.”
- What talents, skills, and benefits would you bring to our firm as a translation professional?
- How would you handle an assignment that you don’t feel suited for, don’t think you understand, or don’t have a requisite skill to handle. As an employer, I want to know if you’ll tell me when you’re over your head or need help—long before it’s too late.
- And here’s a bonus question that you may well have to answer: “Why us?” In other words, why do you want to work with us? “I need a job and you’re hiring.” is not an appropriate answer. Do your research. Make sure you know who they are and who you are—why you might be a good fit. Have 2-3 questions you can ask about the firm that will show your interest and your knowledge of the firm. Good luck!
-By Adriana Tassini
The following Translator Q & A is part of our Translator FAQ Series.Question:Answer: Learn more:
- Download our free Translator Guide E-book
- Certified Translation Professional (CTP) Program
- Translation Industry Articles
- Translator Training Video & Audio Platform
- Translator Employment Guide
- Translation Training Blog
- Expert Translation Interview