How well understood is the translation profession?
It’s a mixed bag, overall. Most people think a translation professional is a simultaneous interpreter. While some of us do that, it’s a specific skill set, and not all of us possess it, either linguistically or temperamentally. The other common image of a translation professional is that of the solitary literary translator polishing his or her translation for years in a dusty, lonely attic garret. And then there’s the whole misapprehension of knowing a language vs. being able to translate it—another part of the profession in which someone who is multilingual may or may not possess the necessary skill set. Finally, there’s the whole notion of what it means to be bilingual or multilingual anyway.
-By Adriana Tassini
The following Translator Q & A is part of our Translator FAQ Series.Question:Answer: Learn more:
- Download our free Translator Guide E-book
- Certified Translation Professional (CTP) Program
- Translation Industry Articles
- Translator Training Video & Audio Platform
- Translator Employment Guide
- Translation Training Blog
- Expert Translation Interview