What abilities do translation specialists and professionals need to work effectively in the translation field?
There are two sets of abilities a translation professional needs, in order to work effectively in the field. First, there are those general skills that promote job success in all industries. These would include things like conscientiousness, punctuality, honesty, honorability, collegial spirit, etc. Second, there are the skills specific to the translation industry: a passion for language and communication, the ability to write well in the target language, the ability to read and understand or hear and understand a foreign language, the ability to understand meaning in a holistic way, for those many times that the individual words add up to so much more than their individual meaning.
-By Adriana Tassini
The following Translator Q & A is part of our Translator FAQ Series.Question:Answer: Learn more:
- Download our free Translator Guide E-book
- Certified Translation Professional (CTP) Program
- Translation Industry Articles
- Translator Training Video & Audio Platform
- Translator Employment Guide
- Translation Training Blog
- Expert Translation Interview