How do translation consultants find clients?
Everywhere. For bricks and mortar clients, you can consult the yellow pages (online or paper) and the chamber of commerce. Online, you can contact companies that seem to need translation consultants. (There are many poorly translated websites out there: take someone else’s bad job or a machine translation mishap, and turn it into your own opportunity.) Online, there are a number of translators’ forums and websites that have job listings for bidding (Proz, Translator’s Café, Traduguide, GTI, even the ATA has a job referral site). And there are also Yahoo groups that list job opportunities. Finally, you can simply contact agencies with your resume, although the yield there will be slimmer.
-By Adriana Tassini
The following Translator Q & A is part of our Translator FAQ Series.Question:Answer: Learn more:
- Download our free Translator Guide E-book
- Certified Translation Professional (CTP) Program
- Translation Industry Articles
- Translator Training Video & Audio Platform
- Translator Employment Guide
- Translation Training Blog
- Expert Translation Interview