What are some sources of information on becoming a translation professional?
The internet is a wonderful place for getting information. Visit the websites of any of the following and you’ll find a wealth of information: American Translators Association (ATA), Global Translation Institute (GTI), Proz.com, Translator’s Café, LISA (Localizalization Standards Association), translators’ blogs. Or you could go to the websites of schools that offer a degree or certification in translation, such as Monterey Institute of International Studies. There’s a website, BeTranslated, that I bumped into recently that has a great list of places that grant degrees. Or, if you feel bold, find a couple of translation agencies that look interesting and reputable. Research them, and then call and ask if you could interview or shadow one of the principals; explain why and be humble and polite.
-By Adriana Tassini
The following Translator Q & A is part of our Translator FAQ Series.Question:Answer: Learn more:
- Download our free Translator Guide E-book
- Certified Translation Professional (CTP) Program
- Translation Industry Articles
- Translator Training Video & Audio Platform
- Translator Employment Guide
- Translation Training Blog
- Expert Translation Interview