Question: What should I do now that I know I want to become a translator?
Answer: There are many things you should be doing if you know that you want to become a translator. Before I list out some of these things here in this answer please review our answers to these questions: How can I become a certified translator?, What is the best way to get trained as a translator?, What technical skills are needed for translators?, and How can I become a successful translator?.
Now that you have read those also keep in mind that to become a translator you will need to master your source and target languages, and develop as much experience as possible in conducting actual translation work. Yes, certifications and client references are important but you can also start right now by practicing translating documents of various types and then asking someone who is native in your target language or both languages to judge your work.
- How can I become a certified translator?
- Should I become a translator?
- What can I charge per word as a professional translator?
- What is the best way to get trained as a translator?
- What experience is required to become a translator?
- How can I get certified as a translator?
- How much can translators make per year?
- How can I start my own freelance translation business?
- How can I find my own translation projects and clients?
- What is the best book for learning how to be a translator?
- Can you help explain how to be a translator?
- Do you have tips for creating my translator resume?
- How can I get a internship as a translator?