What are the main functions of a translation professional?
A translation professional either translates or interprets. Their function is to take words that have been written or spoken in one language and render them understandable—and culturally appropriate—to someone who only understands a different language.
A translation professional can also function as a proofreader, taking someone else’s translation or words and making sure that it is clear and understandable, and that it is a decent representation of the original.
And a translation professional can also summarize someone else’s written or spoken words as well, for a journal, an index, a medical history, or court document.
In addition, some translation professionals function as copy writers, editors, dubbing experts, or voice over talents.
-By Adriana Tassini
The following Translator Q & A is part of our Translator FAQ Series.Question:Answer: Learn more:
- Download our free Translator Guide E-book
- Certified Translation Professional (CTP) Program
- Translation Industry Articles
- Translator Training Video & Audio Platform
- Translator Employment Guide
- Translation Training Blog
- Expert Translation Interview