What characteristics are needed to become a well-respected translation specialist?
In some ways, you need the same things that you would need to be well respected in any profession. So, for example, you need to be reliable, conscientious, and professional. That means you do what you say you’ll do, when you say you’ll do it and how you say you’ll do it. You look ahead, and if you see unanticipated problems, you let your client or agency know about it if necessary and/or take measures to make sure that you’ll stand by your word or your contract. You speak with respect and write politely—without letting others take advantage of you. You keep developing your skills, and you don’t fake what you don’t know.
-By Adriana Tassini
The following Translator Q & A is part of our Translator FAQ Series.Question:Answer: Learn more:
- Download our free Translator Guide E-book
- Certified Translation Professional (CTP) Program
- Translation Industry Articles
- Translator Training Video & Audio Platform
- Translator Employment Guide
- Translation Training Blog
- Expert Translation Interview