Freelance Translation Rates
Regular translation fees and services are divided by common and legal texts some of which may have different rates and fees according to their matter. It could also be based on whether they need or not a more elaborate and specific research to accomplish the job.
Knowing how much to charge can help you grow your client list or improve the profitability of your freelance translation business. When starting a career as a translator the rates can vary from as low as $0.01 per word to $0.30 per word. But the rate depends on the project, length of the project, your expertise in that field, timeline of the project, and other variables that any translator should consider.
Translation fees are usually established based upon the most requested languages such as English, Spanish and French. Other idioms considered rare may have specific rates and those are usually negotiated between client and translator before accepting a job. Other things considered important for the processes of pricing your translations would be the amount of hours per week and weeks per year you would wish to work, vacation, sick time and holidays.
They may also be classified in different sections or type of translations which could be an urgent type of translation, common, legal and technical fees.
Below, a simple chart with practicable freelance translation rates:
By Vanessa Greenway, CTP Associate
Additional Related Resources:
- What is the process of becoming a professional translator?
- What type of certified translation courses are available?
- What type of entry level translation jobs are available?
- Where can I find foreign language translator jobs?
- Can I get free translator training?
- Why are lots of people getting certified as a translator?
- How can I become good in translation?
- How do I become a certified interpreter?
- How much do professional translators make?
- How do I become a licensed translator?
- How can I become a qualified translator?
- How can I become a technical translator?
- How can I get a job as a translator?
- How can I start out as a translator?
- How can I study translation?
- Is there an online class on how to become a translator?
- How can I become a certified legal translator?
- What should I do now that I know I want to become a translator?
- What are some interview questions for translators?
- What is a good language translation blog?
- Where can I go to find language translation jobs?
- Where can I take an online certified translation course?
- Where can I take online legal translation course?
- Where can I prepare to be a translator?
- What is a professional translation certificate?
- How can I complete a professional translation course?
- What sites provide professional translation jobs?
- What is a rate for a certified translation vs. regular translation?
- How can I study to become a translator or interpreter?
- How can I have a successful translator career?
- What are the top translation schools in the world?
- Who is training translators?
- Where can I get translator career information?
- What courses should I take to become a translator?
- What do you need to be a translator?
- Where can I study to be a translator?
Tags: Translator Training, Freelance Translation Rates, Translation Fee, Starting a Career as a Translator, Translation Fees.